There are many different kinds of dips out there that you can use for various foods like vegetables, biscuits, and chips. But among the varieties of dips, one of the best is cheese sauce. It is a kid-friendly sauce that tastes great on everything, from bread to broccoli. If you are thinking of making some nachos for snacks, veggies for lunch, or baked potato for dinner, you can add some cheese sauce to make them more delicious.
There are lots of cheese sauces that you can buy in the market. However, if you do not want to spend a lot or you don’t have time to go out and buy one, you can also make some cheese sauce at home. It is perfect if you are thinking of making some cheesy appetizer like mozzarella sticks or pretzel bites that you can dip in it. It can also be used as a sauce for pasta and macaroni.
Making some homemade cheese sauce is better than buying processed ones from the grocery stores. It’s because when you make it at home, you can ensure that all the ingredients used are fresh and safe and that it does not contain any preservatives. Making cheese sauce is quick and easy. If you want to learn how, read on as we’re giving you the steps on how to make cheese sauce at home.
Ingredients Needed in Making Cheese Sauce
There are only four ingredients needed in making some cheese sauce. Here they are:
- Butter: This is the one that will give the sauce a rich flavor. You can choose between salted or unsalted butter.
- All–Purpose Flour: This will thicken the sauce. You need to use equal parts of flour to butter to get the right thickness and consistency.
- Milk: This one will thin the sauce but will make it creamier and smoother. It also adds a bit of sweet flavor to the cheese sauce.
- Cheddar cheese: It is better to use sharp cheddar cheese when making cheese sauce. But you can also use mild to extra sharp cheddar cheese. Also, make sure that you use full-fat cheese and begin with a block of cheese that you shred yourself. It is not advisable to use bagged and pre-shredded cheese because they have anti-caking additives that can make the sauce lumpy. Also, freshly grated cheese has a stronger flavor than coated shredded cheese.
Procedure in Making Cheese Sauce
Here are the steps in making cheese sauce:
- Start by melting the butter in a small pot and whisking in the flour. Continue mixing until you get a light golden paste. Cook the flour with butter first to cook the raw flour taste out of the mixture.
- Pour in the milk slowly. Avoid whisking out any lumps as they form. Stir the mixture until you make a bubbly, creamy sauce.
- When the sauce becomes thick, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese a handful at a time. Add some salt, pepper, and optional cayenne pepper to taste. There you have it, the perfect cheese sauce that is ready to enhance whatever you are going to pour it over.
Variations of Sauce
Aside from cheddar cheese sauce, you can customize it by using other types of cheese and ingredients. You can use any good melting cheese in making cheese sauce. Some examples are gouda, gruyere, Monterey Jack, or asiago cheese. In addition to that, you can also make it a bit spicy by using pepper jack cheese or by adding some extra cayenne pepper. You can also use a mix of cheeses. For example, you can use half cheddar and half parmesan when making a cheese sauce for macaroni and cheese.
What Can You Serve with Cheese Sauce?
If you are wondering what you can serve with cheese sauce, the answer is whatever you want. If you think something will taste better with cheese sauce, then you can certainly add it. Some of the best foods we can recommend are vegetables like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower. You can also pour it over baked potatoes with chili. The cheese sauce is also a perfect dip for French fries, nachos, and homemade pretzels. You can also add it to rice and even on roast beef sandwiches.
How to Store Cheese Sauce
You have the option to make some delicious cheese sauce ahead of time, and you can also store the leftovers if there will be some. To store cheese sauce, you need to keep it in a sealed container and keep it in the fridge. You can store it for up to 2 days. To reheat it, you can microwave it for 30 seconds, then stir. Repeat this process until the sauce is heated throughout.
Cheese sauce is indeed one of the most delicious sauces and dips out there. It is perfect for cheese lovers who like to add cheese to everything. We hope this post will help you make some delicious cheese sauce at home.